4 Food Photography Styles

Hey ya'll! I'm guessing all of you might have got the hint about what I'm blogging if you've read the title.


Other than portraits, I love taking pictures of food too if you still don't know! ;) You can actually see how most of my  Instagram pictures are mainly on food (other than my portraits in it obviously, check it out here). So! I'm gonna show you some of my food photography styles & of course; I hope you'll like it and if you really do, you can try it out! :)

Common Flatlays
    Flatlays are just taking pictures from the top of the table and voilà - you have your flatlay shot! :) For me, I always try my best to hold my camera or phone at a 180 degree angle so my photos would look flat as possible. BUT if you can't, you can always use some trusty photo editing apps such as VSCO or Lightroom to adjust your photos! :) Here are some photos: 
'Go Higher'
    Just like flatlay but you position your camera higher HAHAHA. I'm not sure is that even another style or just plain flatlay still but for me it's still another way of taking your food photos. Basically you can see your flatlay as a whole and there won't be any food being cut half away from the picture. For this, I recommend you use a wide-angle lens (if you are using a camera like DSLR) because it's just much easier and convenient. And well of course, when you shoot a flatlay which is further from the object, I recommend you add some other props or decoration to the empty spaces you have in the shot like flowers, hand or chairs so as to make it not look so 'lonely', dull and empty. Unless you want a really minimal shot of flatlay then feel free to do so (you can see one example at the last picture below).
Close-up shots
    Ya'll know how much I love details and well guess what? Same goes for food too and obviously I love capturing food at a close distance to see its' details. It somehow just felt more satisfying than looking at flatlays honestly. BUT anyhow, my way of taking close-up food photos is just positioning yourself at the same level as the food is and then you try shooting at different side of angles by going right to middle to left. That's how I normally shoot my close up food photos. ;p Also, close up shots are recommended using the actual camera gadget just because I feel it provides a more clear picture personally. But if you have an iPhone Plus and you have portrait mode; just use them cause they can do the work wonderfully too. ;) 
"The Hand Model" 
    Well, you know how some bite sized food or just snacks can be taken just by holding it right? So this is it. I bet everybody can kill this style honestly because almost everybody does that nowadays. Anyway, to get a better picture obviously you gotta tap your object (which is your food) on the screen to focus the food and give the background a little bokeh at the back if you are using your phone. For camera, you can just press the shutter button half way and see if your object is being focused while your background is blurry as how you want it or not. It can be solved with just a normal Auto setting honestly. 

    That's it! I'm obviously no professional photographer but that is just how I take my pictures and am still improving on other styles soo be sure to subscribe or follow my blog to catch up with more photography styles I adore as it will be shared here more compared to on my Instagram heh

Sincerely, Shannon

2 comments


  1. If you want to get an amazing food photography through a fine Best Food Photographer in London. Get in touch with Eat Drink Flash who will introduce to Miss Maini, a well skilled food photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!!Thanks Wedding photographer in DFW

    ReplyDelete