Penang Getaway

"Taste the streets of wherever you travel. Each destination has a flavor."


Aye! I'm back with another travel + food blog (mostly food lol)! I've never really wrote anything about Malaysian local food here on my blog sooo I thought I'd write a little of it from my Penang trip I went on with my fam bam haha so here it is!

As y'all know, Penang is famous for their local food and its heritage cultures. So of course we went on a journey filled with many food stops like Asam Laksa, Hokkien Mee, Char Kuey Teow and many more which I can't really count how many anymore haha. As a person who LOVES cafe too, my dad agreed to go on two cafes too! HAHA It was great.

Before I start showing y'all those food pictures I took, I just wanna say I might not have the location of it cause I just forgot to take them at some point haha (got too immerse with enjoying myself and forgot about it). BUT in general, every hawker stall you go to; the food will still be good so you don't really need to fret about where is it at. ;) Also, I can't put all photos here too, so you can head over to my IG highlighted story to see more!

ok let's proceed, yaey! 

We went on a 3 day 2 night journey to Penang and along the way we did get to meet up with some of our relatives too which was a good reunion. My dad got to meet up with his old time friends when he lived in Penang back then too as they took us to some food stops that were worth keeping a memory in a form of a photograph so here it is:

Fook Cheow Cafe, Hutton Lane


This place sells quite decent Wantons (last picture) so I do recommend you ordering them if you visit this place. The Wanton Mee (first picture) was really good and the texture of the noodle is worth tasting for hehe. The centre picture is the Fishball Noodle which was kind of unique for its fishball since it's not the usual fishball we have where it's smooth inside and out. This is on the rough side but soft as it kinda melts in your mouth when you have them in your mouth. So you should try them too for once.

Classic Kopitiam, Hokkien Mee; Perak Road


As you can see their Hokkien Mee is actually what we call Prawn Mee in KL. This is probably the ORIGINAL Hokkien Mee, I think. This is REALLY good tbh and it's worth the 15-20 minute wait (yes you gotta wait for good food!). The broth is flavorful and addictive somehow. Its really delicious but 'way to go' for your healthy diet lifestyle journey heh. :')

There's a lot of people lining up for it so I do suggest you to go there earlier because we went there in the morning too but it was sooo packed already and we had to share tables since the number of seating is limited given that the Kopitiam is small. The shop opens at 8am so suit yourself what time you wanna go HAHA.

Price? If I'm not mistaken, a small bowl costs about RM5 and RM5.50 for a bigger bowl.

If you're curious about the location, I only took the blinds of the Kopitiam to let y'all find that place (if you ever visit) just because I feel like the blinds are what I would look for if I'm finding the place HAHA I have no idea why I would think that but YEA HERE IT IS HAHAHA


P.S. I really do hope you go to visit this if you are ever visiting Penang just because for a person like me who seldom eats Prawn Mee in KL ends up enjoying this Hokkien Mee in Penang too so yea! Highly Recommended! :)

New World Park Food Court, Burma Road


SOOOOOO this is the place we come quite often whenever my family visits Penang to have their Ice Kacang and other random good stuff there. To an addition, while we were there last week, we got to taste a VERY good Zhong Zi too! It's a food court obviously so there are a variety of food stall you can choose from to satisfy your cravings so head on over to enjoy 'em! The Chee Cheong Fun is very good too soo yea!

Soon Hiang Biscuit Shop, Jalan Kuantan (順香餅家)


OKAY, for a pastry-lover like me. This is worth coming for too! I grew up eating these pastries called Tambun Biscuits or what my other friends would call it 'Dou Sa Bing' (I realized they kept on calling it that when I said Tambun Biscuits so yea). They do not contain any preservatives for the Tambun Biscuits so one can only keep it up to 3 days and you gotta put them in the fridge after 3 days and finish them by the expiration date. Come earlier to book your wanted number of boxes before it's sold out heh. The boxes only comes in the standard size filled with 32 pieces of the Tambun Biscuits.

China House Cafe, Beach Street


So, this is the cafe my dad wants us to visit since he likes it a lot too because the cakes are really good! :) It's the longest cafe in Penang and is very crowded indeed. The cafe gives off this 'vintage vibes' in the cafe so it's all good hehe. There are so many corners to take pictures of and I just love how there's a mini so called Garden or Courtyard at the end of the cafe if you walk further in. Anyway, I took a lot of pictures so words are not really needed here HAHA enjoy the pictures!

The walkway of the cafe from the entrance | the entrance outside of the cafe

The signs about the cafe with a map of the cafe at the last right.

The walkway again in horizontal view and a pecan pie which I have yet to try haha


Well, here's the desserts (above) we tried! :) It's really good honestly but I think there are much better ones compared to what we've ordered actually. We ordered the Carrot Walnut, Chocolate Orange and the Nusberslen Cake where it is the one with the cookie on top.

NORM, Lebuh Carnarvon

Right picture is Iced White Coffee, basically it's the usual Latte. 

Yet another cafe visitation HAHA. Recommended by my friend; this cafe is called NORM and during the night, they are called the NOCT. This place shows a more minimalist type of interior design and their waffles are the 'THING'! I really love waffles in general; especially the ones with a combination of citrus fruits! :) We ordered the Citrus Passion which has Passion Fruit, Orange and Grapefruits topped with Earl Grey Ice Cream which is REALLY refreshing! My mocha was good too! :) I rarely order hot drinks but I wanted a latte art picture for the blog so here it is!

Citrus Passion | Hot Mocha

I definitely will come back again if I ever get the chance to. The environment there is also soothing and calm soo 'me love it LOTS' ;)

Other than all these food stuff, we definitely went to other places like the Padang Kota Lama to enjoy the wind and the sea view of Penang. It was great and fun to relax other than just searching for food 24/7 for this trip haha. We also went to see the Chew Jetty too but it was raining so we didn't really walk much there. Here's some pictures taken on my iPhone: 




Well, I'm just gonna end this travel blog here or else it'll be too long (I already feel its a lil' long so yea). ANYWAY, there are so many food that you should try in Penang but it'll always be endless somehow. It's really great that I got to visit Penang again ever since the last time I went which was many years ago. :) I really do hope you enjoyed the pictures and my words that I try to express them heh

THANKS FOR READING! 
xoxo

Sincerely, Shannon

4 comments

  1. I've heard good things about NORM & sometimes I feel I wanna go Penang only because of NORM! xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. after read this I put it to my list because this december I wanna trip to there :)
    thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete