Unspoken Truths of Chinese New Year

The festive of luck, prosperity and wealth.
However, don't ever forget it's real happiness of it;
the festive of reunions, bonds and health.
Happy Chinese New Year!
- Shannon -


    Hey y'all! How's it going? Has 2019 been treating you well so far? Well, I don't know bout y'all but I guess mine has been going QUITE smoothly I think. ANYWAY, January came and went by fast & now, it's the CNY month already ( how fast tho) - February is here to say HI to y'all.

    As you can see from my title; I did thought of writing something good about it BUT I think all of us know how good it is already right? With us youngsters (unmarried) getting valuable papers from our elderly, eating bunch of CNY goodies and snacks placed on the table in our living room and other people's whenever we go visit & even getting to buy some new clothes for yourselves to celebrate the new year's seasons. OH almost forgot! The reunion dinner! Mmm... writing about it has already had me thinking bout the whole table filled with SO many dishes & you know at least of them is your favorite dish and you're gonna eat them tons! ;) right?

    How bout the elders? How do they feel about it? Personally, I think they like CNY is because of the reunion more since they get to see their children for once gathering around under a roof with the smile on their faces; happy to see their cousins and also their favorite grandma and grandpa plus relatives, and maybe even complimenting on the food their elders had cooked to fill the empty table how good it is. :) ANYWAY! I think both youngsters and elders have their own dislikes on CNY haha. Hence, this is the reason why I wanted to write something the opposite. Of course, the good outweighs them a whole lot but I'm still gonna talk about them heh.

P.S. I have no intention to go against CNY in any way possible if you're thinking that way about me. I'm just stating some opinions about what we as 'humans' don't really enjoy during CNY seasons without any intention of breaking the traditions or whatnot. SO, chill.




Ka-Ching? More like Losing the 'Chings'

    Well, this relates to all the married couples out there HAHAHA. Of course, it feels good to us youngsters who has not gotten married yet but the elders? you know the answers. ;) They gotta pack those red envelopes with their money and give out like Santa Claus giving out presents to little kids. In Chinese tradition, they are considered as giving 'blessings' to the youngsters if I'm not mistaken. Well, they'll probably be feeling the pain of seeing their money getting lesser and lesser with each house they gon' have to visit this CNY. I'm not very sure if ALL of them feel that way but if I were married; I'd probably be feeling the pain there for a moment or two.

"I like you just the 'WEIGH' you are"

    If you are able to reach in between the lines; congrats! haha With all the reunion food and CNY snacks at every house you visit, I'm pretty sure your hand would just naturally reach out to them one way or another. RIGHT? I personally love pineapple tarts A LOT & I can guarantee you that I'll be eating at least one or two of the tarts if I ever see one with every house I'm going to visit. AND as your hand reaches them out to fix your cravings, you'd be realizing that your weight would probably go up too; like how your angpaos increases too each time you go visit (to youngsters haha). I bet the girls would probably be planning to shed a few pounds once Chinese New Year is over since most of us girls OBVIOUSLY wants to keep fit and slim to fit into our fav skinny jeans right? ANYWAY, I guess it's okay to gain a few pounds if you think fixing your cravings is important. So why not right? ;)


Gettin' Ready for the 'Annual' Interview

So, we youngsters probably never liked this ever since we got asked for the first time:

"You got boyfriend/girlfriend already ah?" 

"When are you guys marrying?" 

    Well, to all singles out there, I hear you clearly guys :') And to all the couples who aren't married yet, good luck answering 'when' without getting awkward HAHA There are other questions we all dislike to be honest, but I think those two are the most disliked by all youngsters. Our elders especially relatives you've have not seen them for a long time ever since the last CNY reunion will definitely ask you these type of questions (no doubt). Even on a normal daily basis, your friends might tease you with a similar situation like this already and having to imagine yourself having to experience it the same with your relatives. Not forgetting, Valentines Day is also around the corner. SAD LIFE.

    SIGH. But what can you do right? This is the life of the singles (majority). We just gotta say no nicely and hope for the best. BUT you know what? it's okay tho being single, cause then you won''t have the risk of getting asked about when you're gonna get married. Personally, I feel that's a harder question at some point. Do you feel the same way as I do? You can comment below if you want hahaha.

CNY songs are everywhere, ON REPEAT

    Is it bad? Well, not exactly to those who is enthusiastic about it and wants to get that CNY vibes all pumped up. But for those who prefers a more relaxed, chill and calming vibes in their everyday life (like me); I personally feel a little bit restless after going to malls and all I listen to was a few common CNY songs on repeat for a few long hours. And well, my type of 'jam' is definitely not the CNY type of songs and instead; I prefer lo-fi hip hop music, English and American pop songs so that's a huge difference there. But honestly, putting on repeat for long hours is definitely a no-no for me in every type of music. I'll just get bored of it naturally and never want to listen to them in my life. Same goes for the common old CNY songs being played at malls for long hours too. They are pretty decent to listen to during your first listening every year but as each day passes by and it's still on repeat, mmm... ain't it for me y'all. :')


  That's ALL I have for you guys and girls! Again, I am in no means of anything against CNY festive modes. It's only an opinion I find it worth stating a fact there for once and again, these cons definitely gets outweighed by the pros and that's what makes CNY festival really big, special, unique and popular! :) Lastly, Happy Chinese New Year y'all and I do hope you'll enjoy every second of it! Do share this post if you think they are true at some point! ;) love ya xoxo

All photos taken by Joel Song
Sincerely, Shannon

2 comments

  1. Beautiful pictures of yourself, Shannon. Love your post. I dislike Valentine's Day. Am not a youngster but you rock!

    ReplyDelete